SingaporeConnect is helping a member, who is in the Rotary Club of Cupertino, to set up a Singapore booth at the Cultural Fair (part of the Cupertino Fall Festival.)
A few of your members have already been working for the past few weeks brainstorming for this booth and we invite you to help them! The concept of the booth is to have a fun and interactive introduction to Singapore and its unique culture. We would wish to show-case our:
* Multi-cultural country - language, ethnic groups; almost no one knows that we have 4 official languages.
* Obsession with our own food - too bad we cannot serve food at the fair (health department), but we can share recipes, and even display the various cookbooks in our collection. Or display some Prima Taste packs to show off our local dishes.
* We may be small and young as a country but we have done really well as a nation. How can we show that?
* Cool games we used to play - does anyone have five stones sets, which we can put out at the booth and teach people how to play?
How can you help? You can help with:
Before the event
1) Joining our volunteers to help plan the layout of the booth.
2) Providing items (like Singapore mementos, games, cookbooks, memorabilia, currency, stamps, clothing, footwear, souvenirs) to help make a nice homely display. Items that can be interacted with are especially welcome. If you have a "stamp" to "chop" a passport, we need one of those! (see below for why) Perhaps something with your school name, a name of a local campaign, etc.? Here are some items that we really would like:
- Items from the National Day Goodie Bag.
- “Singapore is a fine city” t-shirt, poster, coaster, anything
- SingaporeConnect flag/banner (I figure since this is very much a SingaporeConnect driven event, might as well give publicity to the group)
- posters/photos/pictures of the various Singapore campaigns…..Two is enough, Speak Mandarin, Do not litter, Do not spit, etc.
- Singapore flag - 1 big one for high visibility, and smaller ones to display throughout the booth
- Traditional costumes and footwear - cheongsam, sarong kebaya, saree, baju kurung
- Singapore food - in plastic form, as per Christina's email
- Singaporean props - Merlion, paintings or pictures of Singapore
- iPads with Singapore trivia quiz
3) Providing photos or videos of your favourite Singapore past-times and sights - sure we can find photos perhaps "official" ones, but home-photos are so much more authentic. We can display them on an electronic tablet.
Between 8 am - 9 am of the day of the event
4) Help set up the booth.
Between 9 am - 5 pm of the day of the event
5) Be at the booth to well, answer questions, meet and greet visitors, show the items, and look and act Singaporean!
We would need 2 persons to man the booth at any time. The more the merrier so you can limit yourself to say 1 hour per session and spend the rest of the time enjoying the Festival. The Rotary Club will hand out "passports" for kids to get stamps at various booths.
6) Help with packing after the event.
This is a community and volunteer led effort. The members are doing this out of their own interest; there is no OSU or Contact Singapore or such official involvement in this activity. So please roll up your sleeves, pitch in, and help them make their vision a reality!
For more information about the Rotary Fall Festival, visit: